1. Write compelling, genuine ad copy
- Craft messaging that focuses on user benefits.
Why: Users respond to ads that speak to their needs.
- Tie creatives to your keywords.
Why: Users tend to engage with ads that appear most relevant to their search.
- Avoid generic language in your ads. Use specific calls to action.
Why: Generic calls to action often show decreased engagement with ads.
- Give people answers and avoid questions in text ads.
?Why: People come to Google to find answers. Ad copy with a question in the headline often underperforms.
2. Create ad text that appeals to users across devices
- Take full advantage of your character limits.
Why: Longer headlines increase the clickable space of your ads, communicate more to someone who’s searching, and further qualify the clicks that you receive.
Get started: Edit your ad text to take full advantage.
- Focus on your headlines.
Why: The content and quality of your headlines matters and will determine how well your ads perform.
3. Set up your ads for success
- Implement all ad extensions that make sense for your business, trying for at least four.
Why: Ads with multiple extensions often perform better than ads with only one extension. They add useful info for searchers and help your message get noticed.
Get started: Learn about the various ad extensions and when to use them.
- Use keyword insertion and ad customizers if you have a lot of ads to maintain.
Why: You can tailor your creative to a user’s search while reducing your management overhead, including in your URL navigation fields.
4. Test and optimize creatives
- Test and iterate your ad creative.
Why: You can learn about your users’ preferences and improve your performance by honing ad text, especially your headlines.
- Add 3-5 ads per ad group.
Why: Multiple versions give you more options to succeed in each auction.
Get Started: Create a new text ad to give you more options for success in an auction
- Focus your testing efforts on high-value campaigns.
Why: Prioritizing your testing efforts on the places that matter most will help you see the biggest improvements from testing.
- Rotate your ads to optimize for clicks or conversions.
Why: Ads optimized to drive clicks or conversions can improve your competitiveness in auctions.
Get Started: Change the ad rotation setting for a campaign based on your business goal.